Field Software Developer/Engineer
Kongsberg Geospatial creates precision real-time software for mapping, geospatial visualization, and situational awareness. The Company’s products are primarily deployed in solutions for air traffic control, C4ISR, Command and Control, Air/Missile defense and Situational Awareness Applications. Over nearly three decades of providing dependable performance under extreme conditions, Kongsberg Geospatial has become the leading geospatial software technology provider for mission-critical applications where lives are on the line. Kongsberg Geospatial is a subsidiary of Kongsberg Defence Systems.
Are you a software professional that enjoys creating solutions that customers love? Do you thrive on seeing projects from concept to delivery? Do you like working in smaller teams and seeing the entire solution? Do you enjoy travelling and working overseas? Our team is growing and Kongsberg Geospatial seeks system developers for a variety of upcoming exciting projects. We have full-time permanent positions available for a position in Ottawa, which could turn into a Field Service Software Development outside Canada.
What You’ll Create
We develop systems that integrate complex sensor interfaces, data, equipment, drones, Radars, LiDARs and more. Our user experiences provide application operators visualization of geospatial map and terrain data, imagery, video feeds, and sensor controls overlaid with real time data in both 2D and 3D.
Operators interact with our systems using many platforms including tablets, laptops, consoles, video walls and specialized military and air traffic control workstations. Our systems are created as distributed thick clients and Web clients.
Each of our systems is as unique as our customers; however, they all share a critical need to display and act on real-time geographic data.
Small project teams up to 12 take full responsibility to design, develop and deliver systems typically in a 6-18 month timeframe. The team size and duration allows team members to become familiar with large portions of the system and have the opportunity to become subject matter experts for the technology we are integrating, often in customer facing roles.
What we’re looking for
As a member of a motivated and structured development team, you will design and develop applications with modern graphical user interfaces that integrate and visualize a wide-range of sensor and geospatial data.
Occasionally our stakeholders do not have all the answers when it comes to how they want things to work. Therefore, you will need to be a critical thinker and problem solver to provide ideas in order to drive requirements.
You should have a track record of designing and creating great user experiences for end users.
Our team sizes are small therefore you will have the opportunity to not only develop code, but also be an active participant in integrating and testing of code within the target solution; seeing and creating <">the bigger picture">.
- Working directly with customers to solve specific requirements
- Prototyping proof of concepts, requirements development, OO analysis, design, coding, testing, and delivery
- When required, providing support to our sales activities
Desired Qualifications and Experience
You Should Have:
- A Canadian security clearance or eligibility to obtain one
- A post-secondary degree in a field related to Computer Science or Engineering
- 5+ years' experience in the full Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Strong verbal, written and presentation skills, with the ability to effectively communicate to internal and external stakeholders
- Good planning and organizational skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
Required Areas of Experience
- Developing code in C++ using Qt and QML
- Using development toolsets for Windows and/or Linux, including Visual Studio, Eclipse
- Using XML and JSON
- Managing software configurations with Git or similar
It Would be Great if You Have... Experience in some of the following areas depending on your project and role:
- Knowledge of how to design effective user interfaces using UX best practices (defining end user personas, journey maps, workflows and wireframes)
- Agile development process
- Experience and domain knowledge of geospatial technology
- Experience and domain knowledge with one or more of Defence, ATC, and UAV applications and operations
How to Apply: