Junior Software Engineer/Developer
Kongsberg Geospatial creates precision real-time software for mapping, geospatial visualization, and situational awareness. The Company’s products are primarily deployed in solutions for air traffic control, C4ISR, Command and Control, Air/Missile defense and Situational Awareness Applications. Over nearly three decades of providing dependable performance under extreme conditions, Kongsberg Geospatial has become the leading geospatial software technology provider for mission-critical applications where lives are on the line. Kongsberg Geospatial is a subsidiary of Kongsberg Defence Systems.
Are you passionate about software and do you enjoy developing creative solutions that customers love? Do you thrive on seeing projects from concept to delivery that make a difference to people? Do you like working in smaller teams and influencing the entire solution? Do you like to learn and share new skills and ideas?
Our team is growing and Kongsberg Geospatial seeks software developers. We have full-time permanent positions available in our Ottawa office.
What You’ll Create
We develop systems that integrate cool sensor interfaces and data like radars, UAVs with cameras and innovative 3D views in thick and Web clients. Our user experiences provide application operators visualization of geospatial map and terrain data, imagery, video feeds, and sensor controls overlaid with real time data.
Operators interact with our systems using many platforms including tablets, laptops, consoles, video walls and military and air traffic control workstations with 3D augmented reality. Each of our systems is as unique as our customers; however, they all share a critical need to display and act on real-time geographic data.
Small project teams up to 12 are encouraged to take full responsibility to design, develop and deliver systems typically in a 6-18 month timeframe. The team size and duration allows team members to become familiar with large portions of the system and have the opportunity to become subject matter experts for the technology we are integrating, often in customer facing roles. We work with Industry leaders, encourage our developers to learn things to bring back, and we send developers to conferences so they can acquire modern techniques. We foster an environment of sharing knowledge through lunch ‘n learns. We want people to share ideas and we have created social spaces to facilitate this, such as a fully renovated office with collaboration in mind. You can share ideas around the popcorn machine, enjoy free coffee and drinks, and regular team building events such as Escape Rooms and lunches. We encourage every team member to provide ideas for the next events. The purpose is to build strong teams who enjoy their work. We are considering getting an Xbox One or a PS4, what do you think?
What we’re looking for
As a member of a motivated and structured development team, you will design and develop applications with modern graphical user interfaces that integrate and visualize a wide-range of sensor and geospatial data.
Occasionally our stakeholders do not have all the answers when it comes to how they want things to work. Therefore, you will need to be a critical thinker and problem solver to provide ideas in order to drive requirements.
You should have a track record of designing and creating great user experiences for end users.
Our team sizes are small, therefore you will be required to not only develop code, but also be an active participant in integrating and testing of code within the end solution (we are looking for someone who wants to see “the big picture”, not just validate functionality at a unit level).
- Working directly with customers to solve specific requirements
- Defining project scope and estimating implementation effort
- Prototyping proof of concepts, requirements development, OO analysis, design, coding, testing, and delivery
- When required, providing technical support to our sales activities
Desired Qualifications and Experience
You Should Have:
- A Canadian security clearance or eligibility to obtain one
- A post-secondary degree in a field related to Computer Science or Engineering
- 1+ years experience in the Systems Development Life Cycle
- Ability to adapt quickly to changes in technology and scope of work
- Strong verbal and writing skills, with the ability to effectively communicate to internal and external people
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
Required Areas of Experience
- Using development toolsets for Windows and/or Linux, including Visual Studio, Eclipse, or similar
- Knowledge of how to design effective user interfaces using UX best practices
- Developing with Web technologies
- Using XML and JSON
- Managing software configurations with Git or similar
It Would be Great if You Have... Experience in some of the following areas depending on your project and role:
- Developing code in C++ using Qt and QML
- Agile development process
- Experience and domain knowledge with one or more of Defence, ATC, and UAV applications and operations, software map or 3D engines
How to Apply: